Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spend a night in the box

I've spent part of Saturday and a good portion of Sunday going over PHP tutorials and some Drupal stuff so I can stop fighting over this code (for the record, my ass hurts, and I'm tired of this office). One of the books we got from Prof. Bridges, Drupal: Creating Blogs, Forums, Portals, and Community Websites hasn't been as helpful as I was hoping. I think the other book may help some. Anyways, I spent a good deal looking at the tutorials and seeing how or what our code is doing in relation to this. I've gotten a better grasp of stuff, i.e. I understand how arrays work. But the Drupal connection still isn't solid for me. Jared keeps saying it uses hooks, so where are these hooks called? What change can I make and how can I see it? Yarr!

The code Jared had written does everything we need and all we have to do now is just display a Google map with those marker locations. I'm trying to figure this out, but still not sure how. I can't find where this is done in the other modules, but I'm still searching.

So I can stop wasting time I've done the following things:
  1. Asked Jason if he's still working on the find module (as far as I know he is) and if he needs me to do anything. I don't want to work on something and it turn out that he had finished it all along.

  2. Emailed the rest of the group if there's anything else I can do. I don't want to hold up the process and I want to stop feeling like I'm not contributing anything. Also, hopefully by doing this the group will realize I'm not slacking and am trying to be a providing member.

  3. Start reviewing documents and see what else can or should be done. Also, at this point, I guess I'll be a language lawyer but only in the sense of the project.

I'm very conscientious about what I provide to the group, so right now it's killing me that I haven't produced code. I hope, that by providing other types of support I can still pass this class and not be seen as a bad engineer.

No comments: